Hilton Head Island Ornament Santa Hugging Lighthouse


Santa is hugging the decorated lighthouse. “Hilton Head Island” is written across the base of the ornament.

Perfect for your nautical themed tree, or a souvenir ornament from Hilton Head Island!

4.5″ Tall

Made of Resin

Exclusive design by Cape Shore

In stock


Hilton Head Island Ornament Santa Hugging Lighthouse

A Hilton Head Island Ornament. Santa Claus loves Hilton Head as much as you do! Santa is hugging the decorated lighthouse with his bag of toys by his feet. “Hilton Head Island” is written across the base of the ornament.

The Island’s best known and best loved landmark, the Harbour Town Lighthouse has been welcoming visitors to Hilton Head for over four decades. The red-and-white-striped Harbour Town Lighthouse serves not only as a beacon to the many ships that reside in our Yacht Basin but also as a landmark that has come to symbolize Hilton Head Island to people all over the world. Now you can enjoy the Harbour Town Lighthouse during the holidays with this beautiful ornament! These ornaments are hand-painted from the inside with intricate detail. On one side of the ornament: the shape of Hilton Head Island with a palm tree on one side and the Harbour Town Lighthouse on the other. On the other side is a palm tree and a crescent moon, symbolizing the South Carolina state flag. Asked by the Revolutionary Council of Safety in the fall of 1775 to design a flag for the use of South Carolina troops, Col. William Moultrie chose a blue which matched the color of their uniforms and a crescent which reproduced the silver emblem worn on the front of their caps. The palmetto tree was added later to represent Moultrie’s heroic defense of the palmetto-log fort on Sullivan’s Island against the attack of the British fleet on June 28, 1776. In 1663 an Englishman, captain William Hilton, arrived looking for a place to plant sugar cane and indigo and claimed the island for the British crown. Hilton Head soon thrived as landowners established plantations of these crops and cotton. In 1861 Hilton Head Island was overrun by Union army troops and many of the residents fled, to be replaced by escaped slaves as well as the Union troops and their Confederate prisoners. These residents were so isolated from the mainland they developed their own language and culture based on their African heritage. Today these people and their language are known as ”Gullah” and they are widely regarded as ”native” islanders. In the 1940′s Hilton Head was rediscovered as a hunting ground for wealthy sportsmen, who later saw the commercial potential in the tall pine trees that covered the island. As the lumbering industry began to grow, electricity was brought to the island, in 1950. This paved the way to development of the island as a tourist destination. In 1956 a bridge was built connecting the island to the mainland. At that same time, a visionary young developer, son of a family who owned most of the land on the southern end of the island, conceived a resort community that would blend with the natural beauty and ecology of the island. Charles Fraser’s resulting Sea Pines Plantation resort has become a model for resorts world wide that focus on the preservation of nature and the blending of structures with the environment. Charles was killed in a boating accident in the Caribbean in December 2002. Since then, development has continued in other areas of Hilton Head, but always under strict architectural guidelines. Buildings are painted in earth tones, heavy landscaping is required, signage is subdued, and Hilton Head remains elegant. As of the 2010 census, the population of Hilton Head is approximately 37,099 and the island hosts more than 2.5 million visitors each year.